Symptoms of bone bumps or bone growths in the mouth It is found in some people and the cause is not yet clear. It can be caused by genetics, race, gender, age, and is often related to a large amount of chewing force, such as having a habit of grinding your teeth during the daytime. or grinding your teeth at night
Dr. Kesanee Koonthaweesap, Dental Department, Chulalongkorn Hospital, Thai Red Cross Society, explains that this bone growth in the mouth will gradually grow. grow up slowly gradually according to age Therefore it is not found in children. But it usually starts to appear in young people. The bone spurs grow more slowly until they can stop growing on their own. The bone growths in the mouth have an irregular shape for each person, are hard, and the surface is covered with pink gums that have the same appearance as other gums in the mouth. They do not cause any pain. Make the patient unconscious If the bone growth is not large Can be found in various areas of the mouth, including:
- Torus palatinus, bony bump on the palate It is a bony growth that is usually located in the center of the hard palate in the mouth. There are different sizes. It may be a single lump or many lumps together, making it look like kaffir lime skin.
- Torus mandibularis, a bony growth in the lower jaw. Found on the gum ridge on the lingual side of the lower jaw. Can be found on both the left and right sides. It is located behind the canine teeth.
- Exostosis, a rough surface of the bone. Found in the gum area adjacent to the cheek surrounding the jaw.
Because the bone nodule does not cause any symptoms, the patient will usually notice or feel it when the nodule is sufficiently large. cause patients to worry Some people come to see the dentist because they are afraid of having oral cancer. But actually This bone spur does not cause any serious harm. If examined with radiographs, it will be found that there is a bone bump or lump growing out of normal bone. No other lesions or abnormalities were found, so treatment was not required. Except in some cases there are indications that require treatment:
- The bone bumps are so large that they interfere with eating. There are food particles stuck in the crevices of the bone buttons. difficult to clean Affecting the oral health care of patients Causes the accumulation and accumulation of bacteria in the mouth. causing bad breath or in some patients causing speech problems
- The tissue covering the area of the bone often develops into an ulcer. or chronic wounds from eating Or brushing your teeth often hits that area.
- The denture dentist determined that the dentures interfered with the wearing of dentures. Because the base frame of the denture must pass over the โปรโมชั่น ufabet area where the bone growth is. If you wear dentures over the bone button It can cause pressure, pain and chronic wounds.
The method of treatment includes surgery to remove the bone growth. It is considered a minor surgery. This can usually be done with local anesthesia. But after surgery, new bone nodes may slowly grow back like before. Therefore, dentists consider surgery only in patients who have indications. If the patient has a bone growth and is in doubt about the need for treatment. You can consult a dentist for an examination and appropriate treatment plan.